Monday, July 15, 2013

Gluten Free Coconut Shrimp

I'm new to this whole writing out recipes thing. So please be kind with any comments. ;) 

I started cooking/eating gluten free last summer when I was dating a man with Celiac Disease. My goal was to make the things he loved and hadn't eaten in a long time gluten free and in the process found that my body felt better when I ate gluten free myself and my kids didn't even notice when most of the things I made were gluten free. So I stuck with it even after that relationship ended. 

My current boyfriend has some digestive issues and gluten free helps. This is one of my favorite recipes because it's sweet and has a creamy texture to it. 


I have considered using cajun seasoning in these to give them a little spice but haven't yet. So that is a modification you could try. I use regular cows milk because we have that on hand the most. However, I have used soy milk and almond milk and it works just as well. 

Gluten Free Coconut Shrimp

1 pound of Large sized shrimp thawed and peeled(I buy the easy peel kind) 
1 bag of sweetened coconut
1 cup of gluten free all-purpose flour(I prefer Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour)
1 cup of milk(any kind)
1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil(approximate measurement. Use enough for a thick cover in your particular frying pan.)

Thaw and peel the shrimp. Then soak them in a bowl with the cup of milk for at least 20 mins. When I peel them I immediately put them into the bowl with the milk which ensures that they soak long enough. The longer you soak them, the better. You can even soak them overnight if you choose. 

Put the flour(and any other spices you choose to use) into a bowl and put the coconut into a separate bowl. dredge one shrimp at a time in the flour, then dip it back into the milk. This makes the flour good and sticky. Drop the wet dredged shrimp into coconut and cover it with coconut. 

I lay them onto a paper plate until it's good and full. Then I put them all into the frying pan with the 1/4 cup of oil. Cook them on Medium High heat for approximately 2-3 mins then flip and cook for another 2-3 mins until crispy and golden brown. 

Move to a paper towel on a plate to dry and serve. I prefer to serve mine with a good salad. :D 





No comments:

Post a Comment